Visit my Website • Find me on Facebook • Find me on Twitter

Monday, January 23, 2012

I BUILT A DESK

donner_desk1
donner_desk2
donner_desk3
donner_desk4
donner_desk5

When I first struck out on my own I was working on a desk in my bedroom. Then, a few years ago, I moved into a place with an extra room that I turned into an office. It's always been a little more of a workshop than an office, with camera equipment and backdrops and building materials scattered about. My desk was made out of a door that I sawed in half.

As my business matures, I think so should my office. It's time to grow up! So I'm remodeling, renovating, or whatever you call it when you make a room better than it was before. I wanted another work station for the occasions when people come to help me, a sitting area for clients and to keep a little room to set up lights for headshots or small product shots when I need to. I decided that designing my own desk would be the best way to accomplish this.

It's all 2x3s, 1x4s and a few metal brackets. I slathered on the white paint so it would fit in with the rest of my 1940s house, layered with paint from multiple decades. And then I topped it with tempered glass. It's exactly what I wanted. And I really enjoyed building it.

1 comment: