Visit my Website • Find me on Facebook • Find me on Twitter

Monday, December 19, 2011

STUDIO PORTRAITS AND WALT DISNEY

donner_steph1
donner_steph2
donner_steph3
donner_steph4

I recently read a quote by Walt Disney where he supposedly said, “We don’t make movies to make money. We make money to make more movies.” I liked it because it was a reminder why I started a photography business in the first place—because I enjoy it. I have acquired a lot of really cool equipment this year: a new 5D MkII body, 70-200mm f2.8 lens, 100mm macro lens, and a ton of Paul C. Buff lighting equipment, among other toys. At the time all of these purchases weren’t very exciting. They were for my business after all, and it was a lot of money I no longer had for vacations, eating out, hobbies or for important things like savings or investing.

Walt’s words helped me look at the big picture. I now have a collection of equipment that allows me to do so much more with photography than I could a year before. When I’m stuck in the day to day of bidding on jobs, meeting with clients, or sending out invoices it’s hard to see the progress I’m making on reaching my long term goals. But when I look back at the work I was doing a year ago and how I have progressed creatively (and in technical knowledge) everything comes into perspective. All these tools have helped me to practice my craft and ultimately to have the chance to keep making more great photographs.

It helps to use the gear for things other than work projects. Stephanie came to my office one day and sat while I tested some new lights. It ended up being a lot of fun and I learned a few things along the way without the pressure of having to deliver for a client. We even got some pretty decent photos.

1 comment: