Visit my Website • Find me on Facebook • Find me on Twitter

Friday, December 23, 2011

BEST MUSIC OF 2011

Along with my favorite films of 2011, I decided on my five favorite albums for the year. I end up listening to a lot of music while I'm working so each of these got SIGNIFICANT airplay in my office. In no particular order:
Need to Breathe – The Reckoning
These boys took it up a notch—again. They have been working hard and it shows in how they craft the melodies, lyric and their dynamic stage show.  It’s just pure southern rock goodness but with enough polish to please the masses – including the Taylor Swift crowd while on her megatour.



Ryan Adams – Ashes and Fire
Ryan is a fantastic songwriter and this album is one of his finest. His collection of poems set to simple sturdy songs has no BS to it, no unnecessary notes or guest appearances.  Just a guy with his guitar. Listening to this album makes you feel as cool as Ryan Adams.



Cults – Cults
On first listen I thought this was just another retro guy/girl duo knockoff like I’d heard a bunch of times over the past few years. But then somehow I ended up listening to the album every day finding them to be a type of art-pop that wasn’t too arty for daily consumption. And I kind of liked that excessive reverb and cutesy vocals.


Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Like the first album, at first I was a little bored. But a friend sent me a leaked copy a few weeks early so I thought I would listen to it a few times just so I would have some frame of reference for all the reviews I knew would be coming on the music blogs. And in no time I was hooked. I would put it on when it was raining. I’d put it on late at night. I’d put it on when I was feeling introspective or tired. There is some serious mood behind those melodies and I think a great piece of art allows to you access those feelings.


The Naked and Famous – Passive Me, Aggressive You
Technically, this album came out last year but I’m not sure who heard it in the US. I first heard them at 930 Club, opening for Freelance Whales and was completely blown away by their energy and live sound. These little kids from New Zealand were the new Shiny Toy Guns—I could already hear them being used for car commercials and cell phone ads. Their sound is very 2011, with a mix of electronic drums and synths and youthful rock guitars. Plus I love the NZ accents.

Also, I go to a lot of shows and often get asked which are the best to see live. So here is a quick top 5 shows of the year.
1. Jimmy Eat World - this was definitely my favorite. They played old stuff, new stuff and everything in between.
2. Yelle - despite having some drunk kid throw up on my shoes I still had fun. That's how I know it was a good show. She has a ton of energy and awesome dance moves.
3. Death Cab for Cutie - kind of like Jimmy Eat World, I've been listening to them for something like 10 years and all of their songs are connected with memories, which makes for a more interesting experience. And they played all the good stuff.
4. Lisa Hannigan - this woman is adorable, just so likeable and talented. She is a true musical artist and definitely enjoys playing music.
5. Girl Talk - I feel a little bad about this one because the level of musicianship is a little low and Gregg didn't have great showmanship either - he could work on his dance moves. But there is talent there and the crowd was in to it, which made for a fun time. Sorry, Matt Nathanson - you put on a good show too. Maybe next year. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment