Visit my Website • Find me on Facebook • Find me on Twitter

Thursday, September 29, 2011

FRIENDSHIP MONSTER THEME ART

Donner_FM
donner_monster1
donner_monster2
donner_monster3
donner_monster4

Lately my blog has been a great way to showcase what I’ve been up to with portraits and wedding and engagement shoots. But I still get involved in a wide range of other creative things (like my cabinet from last week) that I don’t usually post up here.  That is about to change and this is one of those things—combining photography with my graphic design background in a project that I had a lot of fun with. 

This Fall my friend Ron Merrell is teaching through a sermon series at Grace Baptist Church in Santa Clarita, CA called “Friendship Monster.” For 8 weeks they will be exploring some common things that mess up friendships for teenagers and college students. Ron will be talking about 8 different things and he gave them each a name.

Pride - "P-Rex"
Words - "The Detonator"
Neediness - "Draino"
Social Media - "Electronicon"
Jealousy - "Enviodon"
Hypocrisy - "Shape Shifter"
Insecurity - "Spineless"
Gossip - "Shredder"

I went through and illustrated a body for each, meant to represent the characteristics of the monster. Then I went wandering around DC by myself at night (yes, it was scary) and took photos of dark corners. Then I went home and inserted the shadows into the photos. I was super stoked about using my new camera for the photos – I went without a tripod and just cranked the ISO to 3200, because I can. Each of the final images have been enlarged to movie poster size and hung where the students meet at the church.

The messages will be online here if you’d like to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment