Visit my Website • Find me on Facebook • Find me on Twitter

Friday, March 11, 2011

SELF PORTRAIT

donner_self0311

This is my newest self portrait. I tend to take a photo of myself at least once a month for several reasons. First, it's fun to try new things with my equipment without the pressure of messing up an important shot. Second, I like seeing the gradual change in how I look over the years. And third, I like having photos of myself to use for marketing.

I took this shot because I have just finished restoring a beach cruiser AND because I wanted to test out a new giant parabolic umbrella that I have. The bike was in decent shape when I bought it but it was green and had stickers all over it. I took the whole thing apart and sanded down the frame, painted it black, reassembled the parts after cleaning them, and added new grips. At some point I might replace the pedals and if I ever have lots of free time on my hands, repaint the rims blue. Not likely. The umbrella is about 5 feet in diameter and throws a broad beam of light, so it was ideal for lighting up me and the bike while keeping the background fairly dark, even though it is an overcast but bright day. I bought another bike, a women's version, which I plan to do the same with but in white. I'm thinking that I could do some cool things with the bikes and engagement or anniversary photos.

In other news, while last year was my "Year of Networking," I decided that this is my "Year of Planning and Infrastructure." My photography business is growing quickly and I want to be ready to handle a larger volume of business over time while continuing to raise the bar and over deliver for my clients . Big plans are on the horizon and I'm looking forward to sharing them on this blog over the next few months.

1 comment:

  1. Looking good Billy-Ray! Can't wait to see the business grow.

    ReplyDelete